Contact Us

City Clerk's Office

400 E. Mt. Vernon St. 42501

P O Box 989 42502

Somerset, KY

Phone 606-679-6366

Fax 606-679-2481




1. Do you pro-rate the license fee?

    We pro-rate starting in January only.

2. If my business is located outside the City limits, but I do business inside the City limits, do I still need a business license?

 Yes, because you are conducting business in the city limits you do need a license.

3. If I pay the County Occupational a 1% occupational license fee, do I still need a business license from the city?

    Yes, you still need to purchase your license. You may deduct the amount you paid to the City for your business license from what you owe the County on your occupational tax.

4. If I do not receive my business license renewal notice, do I still have to pay the penalty?

Yes, your renewal notice is simply a courtesy notice. It is each business owners responsibility to renew their license each year.

5. If my company is a "sub-contractor" do I still need a license if the job contractor has one?

Yes, each contractor needs to purchase their own license.

6. Do you accept debit or credit cards?

   Yes, we currently accept either one.

7. If I close my business before the year is up, can I get a refund on my business license fee?

    No, unfortunately we do not issue refunds.

8. I know of other businesses operating without a city business license. Why are you only making me get one?

Unfortunately we are not able to insure every business has a license. We do our best. If you know of someone working without a license, you may anonymously call and we will follow up with that business to make sure they know they must purchase a license to do business in the city limits.

9. Do I have to display my license at my place of business?

    It is best to have it displayed, or at least accessible if an inspector was to come in.

10. If a business is incorporated and both professionals (doctors, agents, etc.) are working out of the same office, do they both need a business license?

Yes, each professional needs to purchase a separate license for themselves.

11. What information do I need to apply for a license?

    For the business license application, all we require is your name, address, phone number, and either a tax ID # or your SSN. Most businesses need to contact our planning and zoning department at 606-678-4466 x-348 before obtaining their license to make sure all the current permits have been purchase, and the zoning is correct for your type of business. For food handling businesses, a health inspection must also be done.

12. How long does it take for you to issue me my license?

   If you do not need to have any planning and zoning inspections done, or have everything completed, it only takes about 5 minutes to issues you a license.

13. My business license rate increased in 2003. Will it go up every year?

No, we are confident that the rates will remain the same for some time. The last time fee's were raised were in 1979.

14. Can I get a copy of my license if I lose it?

    Yes, just come on in, or give us a call and we will get you a new one.




Designed by Revize | Login