Fischer Fun Park at Somersport, as well as all city parks, will reopen to families Monday, June 8.
Indoor, outdoor basketball courts will be the only areas to remain closed
All Somerset city parks will reopen on Monday, June 8, with the only exception being the indoor and outdoor basketball courts at Rocky Hollow Park.
All playgrounds, including the Fischer Fun Park at Somersport, will be available to families. Signage will be installed to encourage social distancing.
“Our parks are essential to families in the spring and summer months,” Somerset Mayor Alan Keck said. “There has never been a more important time for all of us to get outdoors safely and take care of ourselves mentally and physically. I am grateful to be able to return this option to our community.”
At Rocky Hollow Recreation Center, the indoor walking track will be limited to 20 walkers at a time and the weight room limited to six to eight users. A designated entrance and exit will be established for the building, and both doors into the weight room will remain open to eliminate doorknob touchpoints.
Other elements of Somerset Parks & Recreation’s COVID-19 preparedness plan at Rocky Hollow:
• Installing a no-contact infrared thermometer at the entrance and prohibiting anyone with a temperature of 100.4 or higher to enter;
• Marking spots around the front counter to encourage social distancing and providing masks for employees;
• Closing locker room and shower areas, as well as drinking fountains;
• Reducing the number of machines in use in the weight room to encourage social distancing;
• Adding extra hand sanitizing stations throughout the building;
• Locking rooms not in use;
• And, restricting access to vending machines.
Rooms will be available for reservation at Rocky Hollow, but the number of visitors will be limited to 45 for the community room and 20 for the party room. Hours will be 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday for the next few weeks during this transition period.
Splash pads at Bourne and Huffaker parks will reopen the same day as SomerSplash Waterpark — Monday, June 29.
For information, call Somerset Parks & Recreation at (606) 679-1860.